None of us can decide how beautiful we are. Beauty is totally out of our control and entirely in the hands of God. We are either born with or without it and simply cannot do anything about it.
By beauty I mean being blessed with purely good looks. The kind of looks we see on television or at the cinema. People like George Clooney, Angelina Jolie, Kate Moss, Brad Pitt etc….
While it is a well proven and documented fact that beautiful people enjoy (in general) more positive attention, better pay or have even more chances of promotion within an organisation beauty can be cold-very cold-freezing cold even. And cold beauty on its own is not attractive.
As I said above, unfortunately none have us can decide or control how beautiful we are. However, what we all have control over is how CHARMING we are.
Charm is in all of us and as such it is up to us to turn it on as and when with our guests (and also in our private life).
Charm is what really makes us attractive and memorable. Charm is just like a smile, it is an integral part of any FOH uniforms.
To be charming is easy, just follow these simple steps:
- Have a warm good heart, be positive and generous in spirit
- Engage people (your guests and fellow team members) with a warm smile and eye contact
- A warm smile is a smile where all the face smile (ie you use all your face muscles)
- You can be charming to many people at once. Simply look at them and smile to them in turn
- By eye contact I mean FULL UNDIVIDED ATTENTION (ie as if nothing else mattered)
- Charm is about having FIREWORKS IN YOUR EYES when you look at people
When guests see your fireworks they will be dazzled and literally under your magic spell. They will feel good and very special for it for they will feel it is for them and for them only. Charm is personal, it is one on one, it is about sharing a magic moment with someone else.
Charm, kindness and generosity of spirit do not cost anything and yet their value is immense.
This is what good service is about and what guests really come to get when they dine at your restaurant.
Besides…. As beautiful as the Prince ever was, he has always been known as Prince Charming, hasn’t he?
Make excellence a habit!