If it’s true that the customer is king, then lying to one of your hotel or restaurant guests must constitute an act of treason. Yet, according to the excellent Waiter Rant blog, deceit is as much a part of table service as plates, salt and pepper.
The blog’s latest posting lists some of the more common half-truths uttered to guests. Some of my favourites are:
* Why yes sir, I used diet tonic water for your Tanqueray 10 and Tonic.
* The fish was delivered today.
* No madam, the fish isn’t frozen. (At least not now!)
* That table’s reserved. (It isn’t. I just don’t like your attitude.)
* Your children are adorable.
* Yes, the cheese was made from the milk of happy cows that roam free on verdant green pastures. (Right before we kill them!)
* It was a pleasure serving you.
Are you ever economical with the truth when speaking to guests? You can tell us – it’ll be our little secret …