The dinner and awards took place at 30 St Mary’s Axe, London, otherwise known as the Gherkin, where the catering is run by Searcy’s, and was attended by 50 employees.
Award winners were largely on the invite list this year, as chief executive Robert Cook decided to scale down the event from previous years’ 600-plus. Cook told employees who had won what and who would be en-route to the awards ceremony by sending out recorded video messages to all hotels with special instructions to watch their DVDs at a certain time on a chosen day.
In a move not unlike Slumdog Millionaire, Malmaison Leeds and Hotel du Vin @ One Devonshire Gardens seemed to pick up most of the awards. However, Malmaison Belfast took the ultimate Hotel of the Year title.
Former British athletes Linford Christie and Darren Campbell were on hand to add a bit of glitz and muscle to the evening.
To view photos from the awards, hover over each thumbnail to reveal full photo.
• Best department manager - Sydney Mooney, Hotel du Vin Birmingham
• Chef of the Year - Paul Tamburrini, Hotel du Vin @ One Devonshire Gardens
• Department Trainer Award - Hannah Aldridge, Malmaison Manchester
• Drink/Specialist Award (Bartender, Mixologist) – Shane Seaward, Malmaison Belfast
• Employee of the Year - John Booker, Malmaison Leeds
• Events/Meetings Person of the Year - Shona Ferbuson, Hotel du Vin @ One Devonshire Gardens
• Excellence in Service Award (bistro/brasserie & functions) – Lucky Adelova, Malmaison London
• First & Last Impression Award (reception/spa/mine host/nights) – Tyron Downing, Malmaison Newcastle
• Healthy & Safety Champion of the Year - Sara Woodward, Malmaison Leeds
• Housekeeper of the Year - Hayley Wetherill, Hotel du Vin Brighton
• Maintenance Person of the Year - Alan Webb, Hotel du Vin Harrogate
• Number Cruncher Award - Sheila Whitehead, Malmaison Leeds
• Rising Star Award - Stephen Hodgkinson, Hotel du Vin Henley
• Reservationist of the Year (including bookings central and local hotel reservations ) – Ammie Stowell, Hotel du Vin York
• Sales Person of the Year - Sophie Lemm, Hotel du Vin Harrogate, York and Malmaison Leeds
• Sommelier of the Year - Yohann Jousselin, Hotel du Vin Winchester
• Unsung Hero of the Year (kitchen porters, porters, car jockeys, etc) – Gavin Duncan, Malmaison Aberdeen
• Regional Star of the Year - the P&D Team
• CEO’s Special Award - Emma Benney
• General Manager of the Year - Garry Sanderson, general manager Hotel du Vin @ One Devonshire Gardens
• Hotel of the Year - Malmaison Belfast